DCRJ's PINOY BISCUITS Channel
Moymoy Palaboy & Roadfill with an appearance of Pinoy Biscuit Blogger DCRJ (Dr. Dan C. Rivera, Jr.) in the music video 'Rugby Boy'

Sunday, June 14, 2009

MANNY PACQUIAO Receives 2008 BOXING WRITERS ASSOCIATION OF AMERICA's Boxer of the Year Award in New York, June 12, 2009

Manny Pacquiao received his award for the BWAA's 2008 Fighter of the Year in New York on June 12, 2009 which also happens to be the Philippines' Independence Day Anniversary. The BWAA (Boxing Writers Association of America) awards is considered as the most prestigious in boxing, and the biggest names of the sport all came out in full force. None however was bigger tonight than the 2008 Fighter of the Year Manny Pacquiao.

Here's a video courtesy of RedPandemic


Manny Pacquiao's speech in transcription

“Pleasant evening to all the guests, my fellow awardees and the esteemed members of the Boxing Writers Association of America. I would like to congratulate the Boxing Writers Association of America for it's 84th annual awards night. Your long existence only proves that there no association more prestigious than the Boxing Writers Association of America. (applause)

You have passed the test of time. It is my great honor and privilege to be chosen as the 2008 Fighter of the Year. It is for this reason that I chose to travel half across the globe to personally receive this award tonight. (cheers and applause)

Choosing me as the fighter of the year in 2006 was the highest accolade in my boxing career. Giving it to me for the second time leaves me with no words to express the joy and how grateful I feel. It would surely pain me not to come accept this prestigious award personally. I want to let you know that it is a privilege to personally receive this award and thank everybody for their trust and confidence you have given me. Deep in my heart I know how the BWAA has supported me in my boxing career. The members have been kind and wonderful to me in the write-ups.

Who I am, not only in America but the whole world is something I owe to you my friends. And for that, I will be forever grateful. (cheers and applause) For honoring me with this prestigious award, I promise the Boxing Writers Association of America that the boxing fans will see a more exciting Manny Pacquiao, every round, every minute, every second I fight on the top of the ring…

I also hope that this award will serve as an example and an inspiration for the young fighters to believe in themselves and keep on dreaming big. Always remember, your dreams will always be inside you. No one can take it away.

Having this award now is really larger than life; having to follow the footprints of the legendary fighters. But I didn’t do it all by myself. I had the help and support of many people. I’d like to take this rare opportunity to thank all of them, especially to our God. Without God I am not here. For all the blessing he gave me, Thank you.

And to my wife and kids: Jinkee, Michael, Jimwell, Princess and Queen Elizabeth and to my family who supported me- advice, encouragement and comfort over the course of this endeavor having more than I can express.

Mr. Bob Arum, my promoter Bob, Thanks for believing in me.

To my trainer Freddie Roach, Congratulations coach for being the trainer of the year. You deserve it!

To the members of Team Pacquiao, it has been a wonderful year for all of us.

To the Filipino nation who continue to inspire me to do my best. To all the boxing fans, to my fellow nominees who are equally great and excellent in their own way. And to all the people and institutions that I forgot to mention who in one way or another contributed a lot to making everything possible for me. Thank you! This is for you!!!"

(Applause)

No comments:

Moymoy Palaboy & Roadfill with an appearance of Pinoy Biscuit Blogger DCRJ (Dr. Dan C. Rivera, Jr.) in the music video 'Rugby Boy' from the moymoypalaboy 'Uploaded' Album CD/DVD
Moymoy Palaboy & Roadfill at DCRJ's clinic January 30, 2009

Related Posts by DCRJ: